Are you seeking a protection visa and need some help with your application?

The Immigration Advice and Application Assistance Scheme (IAAAS) may be able to help you. The IAAAS offers advice about, or assistance with, applications for eligible people at no charge.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for IAAAS services you must be:

  • living in Australia; and
  • experiencing financial hardship

You must also meet one of the following criteria:

  • You come from a non-English speaking background
  • You cannot seek independent help because of youth or cultural differences such as gender; or
  • You are illiterate in your native language; or
  • You have a physical or psychological disability, including as a result of past torture and trauma; or
  • You have suffered, or are suffering, physical or psychological harm resulting from domestic violence.

IAAAS scheme does not assist with review applications. IAAAS is also not available if you are seeking judicial review or requesting ministerial intervention.

IAAAS services are funded through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, however all our advice is independent of the Department. Registered migration agents provide all advice and application assistance.

What do we offer?

Immigration Advice is where we provide you with advice in person, by phone, in groups or individually, if

  • you are an eligible person seeking a protection visa, or
  • you are an eligible person from a refugee background seeking to sponsor a spouse or family related visa applicant.

We may also be able to give some Protection Visa applicants application assistance

Application Assistance, full or partial, is where we will take significant carriage of an application of an eligible Protection Visa applicant, at departmental or review levels, including interpreting and translating. This can include helping you to complete forms, lodge applications on your behalf, accompany you to interviews, and keep you informed of the progress of your Protection Visa application.

If you would like to enquire about the IAAAS service in the ACT region please call Companion House on 6251 4550 during office hours. or use our Contact Us form and mark it Attn Loan Freeman, for more information

More information about the IAAAS can be found on the website of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.     See also IAAAS Fact Sheet


How to find us


By Bus from Belconnen: Bus Route 40 leaves from Belconnen Community Bus Station Platform 3 or Belconnen Westfield Bus Station Platform 1. Tell the driver you want to get off at Cook Community Hub near Cook Shops. By Bus from Civic: Bus Route 40 leaves from City Bus Station Platform 5:Tell the driver you want to get off at Cook Community Hub near Cook Shops. By Car: Come to Cook Community Hub, 41 Templeton St Cook – free parking is available. Our main entrance is in from the end of the building closest to Cook Shops.

Contact Us

61 2 6251 4550

41 Templeton St Cook ACT 2614 Australia